• Vulcan Energy Resources, Perth, Australia, will be collaborating with DuPont Water Solutions, Wilmington, Delaware, Unites States, a leader in water filtration and purification, to test and scale up Direct Lithium Extraction (DLE) solutions for Vulcan’s world-first Zero Carbon Lithium® extraction process.
• DuPont will leverage its portfolio of proprietary Direct Lithium Extraction (DLE) products to assist Vulcan with input and test-work during Vulcan’s Zero Carbon Lithium® project Definitive Feasibility Study (DFS). As part of the project, DuPont will be developing and testing an integrated Direct Lithium Extraction Process for Vulcan’s brine. DuPont’s multi-technology portfolio of lithium selective sorbent, nanofiltration, reverse osmosis, ion exchange resins, ultrafiltration, and close circuit reverse osmosis will be leveraged for the study.
• Agreement is in line with Vulcan’s strategy to test and pursue commercially mature DLE products from major suppliers for its project to minimize technical risks and accelerate development of the project.
• Unlike current extraction processes, the Zero Carbon Lithium® project will demonstrate the world’s first completely carbon neutral lithium extraction process with virtually zero environmental disruption.
• DuPont Water Solutions (DWS) is a leader in sustainable water purification and separation technologies, including ultrafiltration, reverse osmosis (RO) membranes and ion exchange resins.
“Collaborating with a company like DuPont is an important derisking strategy for the DLE component of our Zero Carbon Lithium® project,” said Dr. Francis Wedin, Managing Director. “DuPont’s diverse set of products which can be manufactured at scale are likely to be well-suited to sustainably extract the lithium from the brine. We look forward to a successful long-term relationship with DuPont, to implement our strategy of becoming a major supplier of our unique Zero Carbon Lithium® hydroxide to the European electric vehicle battery market.”
“At DuPont, our goal is to create innovative product and process solutions that help the world thrive—with 100 percent of our products by 2030 directly supporting the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals,” said HP Nanda, global vice president and general manager, DuPont Water Solutions. “We are proud to bring our expertise in water filtration and purification to Vulcan Energy’s Zero Carbon Lithium® project to minimize the carbon and water footprint of lithium extraction and production—to more sustainably power mobility for years to come.”
Recent activities by the Company
• Acquisition of world-leading geothermal development team.
• $120 million placement endorses Zero Carbon Lithium® .
• COO appointment and Vulcan joins lithium ISO committee.
• Positive Pre-Feasibility Study.
• German legislation embraces geothermal energy.
• European Commission Regulation on batteries & CO2 footprint.
• Appointment of lithium, chemistry & automotive experts to the Executive Team.
Vulcan Energy Resources is aiming to become the world’s first Zero Carbon Lithium® producer, by producing a battery-quality lithium hydroxide chemical product with net zero carbon footprint from its combined geothermal and lithium resource, which is Europe’s largest lithium resource, in the Upper Rhine Valley of Germany. Vulcan will use its unique Zero Carbon Lithium® process to produce both renewable geothermal energy, and lithium hydroxide, from the same deep brine source. In doing so, it will fix lithium’s current problems for the EU market: a very high carbon and water footprint of production, and total reliance on imports, mostly from China. Vulcan aims to supply the lithium-ion battery and electric vehicle market in Europe, which is the fastest growing in the world. Vulcan has a resource which can satisfy Europe’s needs for the electric vehicle transition, from a zero-carbon source, for many years to come.
DuPont (NYSE: DD) is a global innovation leader with technology-based materials, ingredients and solutions that help transform industries and everyday life. Our employees apply diverse science and expertise to help customers advance their best ideas and deliver essential innovations in key markets including electronics, transportation, construction, water, health and wellness, food and worker safety.